Thursday, March 11, 2010

Kailua Pork....

While here in Florida, I am making nightly dinners usually with a meat and two sides. Using the local supermarket, Publix, for last night’s dinner I had an old family favorite - we call Kailua Pork. This terrific recipe came out of the wonderful cookbook ~ Tea Time at The Masters® ~ and is so easy to prepare. For the sides I sautéed some fresh spinach and roasted a few fingerling potatoes.

I wanted to utilize some dill I had in mom’s fridge and saw a recipe in the community paper with dill, buttermilk with the roasted potatoes. So, I picked up some fingerling potatoes at Publix and gave it a try. If you haven’t tried fingerling potatoes yet, you really need to ~ they have a wonderful creamy and nutty flavor. Let me tell you, this recipe was delicious. I am thinking of using the dill sauce for other dishes as well. The sauce was creamy but light, earthy yet extremely flavorful.

Sautéed spinach is my favorite side dishe and I knew that my parents love spinach in any form. While sautéing the spinach, I put a touch of lemon zest knowing that the flavors go really well together.

Definitely give these recipes a try ~ they may become your family's favorite, too!



George's Kailua Pork


Ingredients:
5 pound center-cut pork loin roast
¼ cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons cooking sherry
1 large clove garlic, crushed
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon thyme
¾ cup peach preserves
¼ cup chili sauce
1 cup water
1 8-ounce can water chestnuts, drained

Marinate roast in sauce made from soy sauce, sherry, garlic, cinnamon and thyme for 2-3 hours, turning often. Place on rack in shallow pan and roast at 325 degree F for 30 to 35 minutes per pound. In a saucepan, combine reserved marinade, peaches, chili sauce and ½ cup water. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Baste pork and cook 10 additional minutes. Add remaining water and scrape up brown bits. Add pan juices and water chestnuts to sauce and heat through.

Let pork rest for 10 minutes before slicing, ladle sauce over slices.

Serves 6




Fingerling Potatoes with Sour Cream Herb Sauce

Recipe from Venice Herald-Tribune

Ingredients:
1 pound fingerling potatoes cut into 1 inch pieces
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
2 teaspoons minced garlic

Preheat oven at 350 degree F
Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil and place the potatoes. Add the olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper; mix well. Cover the potatoes with another sheet of aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Take the cover off and bake for another 15 minutes. Take out and mix the minced garlic. Cook for another 6-7 minutes, making sure the garlic doesn’t burn.

Sour Cream and Herb Sauce
Ingredients:
½ cup low fat sour cream
¼ cup milk
2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
Zest of one lemon
Juice of half a lemon
2 teaspoons salt
Pepper to taste

Mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl and keep aside. Right before serving, mix the potatoes with the sauce.

Serves 6

__________

George's notes:
  • Fingerling potatoes are a family of heritage potatoes which naturally grow much smaller than conventional potatoes. They also tend to be elongated and slightly knobby, making them very finger-like in shape. The unusual looking, flavorful potatoes can be used just like regular potatoes in an assortment of roasted, broiled, baked, grilled, or boiled dishes. Many grocers stock fingerling potatoes in season, and they can also be grown at home, in temperate climates.
  • The Kailua in the name of this recipe is in "name only" ~ there is no Kahlua in this recipe, nor is there any Hawaiian affiliation. Maybe long ago, the sweet southern lady who developed this recipe thought water chestnuts were Hawaiian.
  • The Masters® Golf tournament is played annually at the Augusta National Golf Club, in my hometown of Augusta, Georgia. This year it will be held April 8 thou 11, 2010.
  • Roasting a boneless pork loin roast slowly will guarantee moist, tender meat. Loin refers to the type of cut.
Clip art of pork cuts from Ask The Meatman™



Print


29 comments:

  1. What a lovely pork dish George. I think fingerling potatoes are special too. Are you enjoying shopping at Publix? I know I am while we're in Florida and I sure miss then in North Carolina. Hope your Mom is doing better each day.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good!Very creative; would never had thought to add dill to the potates. Fingerlings are special and I love them. Isn't good to be able to get busy and do something you love while going through stressful times in our lives? Thank goodness we love to cook.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking pork, but I have been looking for a long time for a recipe similar to what my mother-in-law used to make with potatoes, sour cream and dill. This is so close and I am screaming to try it. THANK YOU. I can imagine your mom and dad are enjoying the 'chef who came to help out.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. We hope you are all doing well down there in sunny Florida. We all are still hanging on with baited breath for every post that you can eek out a little time for. Its funny at first I thought you spelled Kahlua wrong and then after reading the ingredients realized I was wrong in my thinking. Love the poatoes too. Dill is a perfect accompaniment for creamy potato dishes ;0

    ReplyDelete
  5. Florida is not so sunny today. Hope you are avoiding the tornado activity. That roast looks like a keeper. And I was just thinking about seeing if Publix had any fingerling potatoes. Love your preparation. I am glad that you are cooking - it always helps me when things are stressful. It is the normalcy of sharing a meal together that gets us through the difficult times. My best to your Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore fingerling potatoes for the same reasons you cited. The Kailua pork recipe looks phenomenal, love the sweet spices.

    ReplyDelete
  7. George this look really yummy, gloria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you shopped at the Publix Greenwise Market George? It is a step up from our regular Publix stores and has more specialty items. I love fingerling potatoes and will try this recipe. I too sometimes add lemon zest to my braised spinach.

    Thank you for the recipes.

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  9. George, I looked and looked for Kahlua... but found fabulous flavors instead... great combo! I love the potatoes... they must be perfect with the sweet pork... you are filling my recipe file with sooo many great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It all looks wonderful. I will definitely give that pork a try. Love those potatoes. And I'm instantly craving creamed spinach. I will however, give the lemon zest thing a try, sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both the pork and fingerling potatoes look and sound delicious. I've seen fingerling potatoes at the store but really never knew the difference between them and regular potatoes. Now I know I need to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Publix....one of the few things I miss about Florida. Great looking pork dish, George.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome! The dish is delightful. I really like the fingerling potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The pork roast sounds so good with the dressings you prepared for it. I LOVE the peach added.. I can imagine the aroma in the kitchen!
    And those fingerling potatoes with the sour cream herb sauce.. I have to give that a try! I love fingerling potatoes!!
    I'm so glad to see you are still taking some time to keep us craving your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe the woman who developed th recipe visited Kailua--on Oahu or the Big Island. ;-) It looks delicious--as does the rest of your dinner.

    Hope your Mom is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. i claim to be a potato-lover yet i've never tried fingerlings. i do believe i want my first taste of them to be accompanied by that sauce--it sounds like a perfect addition!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Living in Florida, Publix is my main market although there are a couple others I prefer for produce. Have always loved fingerling potatoes but I usually roast them until they are nice and crunchy; next time I'm going to try your sour cream sauce. Sounds wonderful!
    I have that cookbook too, it's a dandy, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  18. That does look like a wonderful meal, great flavours. I hope my sons treat me this well when they are older!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the sound of both of those dishes. The glaze for the pork sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That pork sounds amazing! I love the idea of cinnamon in it...sounds wonderful. Hope things are going Ok for you & your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. this pork looks very good I am not sure to get the same here in France !! cheers from Paris Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  22. Now you're cooking in my quantities! I cut up red skinned potatoes and coat them in sour cream and chives, with lots of pepper. Talk about wonderful! Looks like a great meal. Hope your mom is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your family is enjoying quite the treat while you visit. I love it! All of it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. GG,
    Pork is my new favorite dinner.
    I love having the leftovers for sandwiches and stirfry!
    Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love fingerling potatoes. I also have an overgrowth of dill in my aerogarden that I haven't known what to do with. I'm going to pair these two together for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  26. The pork looks wonderful - and the side dishes sound perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  27. yummy!! and glad to see you're back!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. lived in the Tampa Bay area for almost 20 years, LOVED Publix! Glad everything is going well!

    ReplyDelete