Welsh Rabbit is one of those things that I could eat over and over again and still come back for more. What could be a better supper than this? Extra mature cheddar – like Double Gloucester or Lancashire - a dollop of mustard, either grainy for a speckled look or Colman's for its fiery character, and a lovely dark ale that has been brewed to its rich, yeasty flavor, all melted together and grilled on a proper slice of crusty bread. Serve with a simple salad of mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, thinly-sliced shallots and a mild berry vinaigrette. Enjoy!Welsh Rabbit
Ingredients:
3 tablespoons butter
12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
½ cup ale (I like Sierra Nevada Stout), at room temperature
1½ tablespoon grainy mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Whisk in cheese a small handful at a time, melting completely before adding next handful, and whisk in a bit of beer as needed to keep the mixture liquid. Add additional beer in small increments until mixture is about the consistency of a thick sauce or gravy. Whisk in remaining ingredients.
Pour over crusty dense bread and grill under a low broiler until just seared.
Serves 4
Note: Depending on the cheese and your preferred consistency, you may use more or less beer.

Oh a treat for sure. A grilled cheese taken to the next level
ReplyDeleteWhat a great recipe! I tried something similar when I was in England. It was sooo delicious!
ReplyDeleteI'd love the sandwich and my husband would dig the beer - perfect.
ReplyDeletekat... great way to look at a melted cheese on toast. Thanks
ReplyDeleteChocolaty Lifestyle... Thanks ~ the English do great delicious comfort food, that's for sure.
I've never eaten Welsh Rabbit and now I'm wondering, "WHY". This cheese encrusted bread is right up my alley! Thanks!
ReplyDeletePam... That sounds like a match; hopeful you will share a bit with each other.
ReplyDeleteLynda... Melting cheese with a bite; is a bite you will remember. Enjoy!
George this is something our mother made as a treat on Sunday nights when we were kids. Maybe with a little more Worcester sauce like a tablespoon and with a tablespoon of dry sherry instead of beer.Its delicious!
ReplyDeleteIan
I have never had this before and now feel like I am missing out! It looks very, very good!
ReplyDeleteIan... I bet it was. My mom would make it as a sauce to pour over a grilled hamburger, as a treat. That way we didn’t want a roll!
ReplyDeleteDebbie... I hope you try it, I'm sure your family will enjoy.
I wouldn't mind not getting a rabbit if I had this to eat. It looks great!
ReplyDeleteDeb... grinning, I say to you ~ "Say that now, but what if you had been poaching all day in the King's forest, wet & cold, and came home empty-handed."
ReplyDeleteBut I agree, it is a great alternative!
Sophie… Thanks, I hope you give it a try.
This is exactly what I feel like now! One of the old-fashioned variations is called a buck rarebit - same thing but with a couple of anchovies on top. Which is lovely if you like anchovies.
ReplyDeleteFoodycat... I am a huge fan of anchovies, so I'll have to give that a try. Thanks
ReplyDeleteThis is the perfect meal. All I would need is a cozy fire. I've enjoyed this meal in pubs, but have never made it myself. One more to add to my "must try" list!
ReplyDeleteDebby... this rich delicious meal brings the atmosphere of a cozy pub right into your home.
ReplyDelete