Recently I came across an old recipe that makes a great vegetarian meal or is an excellent side dish for a steak dinner. So, last week when I saw some golden beets at the farmer’s market I picked up a bunch. For me, golden beets have been a great ‘turn-to’ vegetable that can be sautéed or put into some type of casserole.
For this gratin, I wanted to keep it a bit rustic, so I didn't bother layering the vegetables in an ordered pattern. I put the potato and beets slices in the pan, all mixed up together. The only complicated part of this recipe is slicing the vegetables paper thin. But luckily I had my trusty mandoline to do that, but if you don't have one, you'll just need a bit more time and a very sharp knife.
There's not a lot of cheese or cream in this recipe ~ just a splash of milk to keep everything tender; that way the fresh taste of the vegetables are front and center. I sprinkled the gratin at the end with the parmesan cheese and baked until golden brown. It makes for a perfect dinner, even better. Enjoy!
Golden Beet, Goat Cheese & Potato Gratin
Ingredients:
4 medium golden beets
1 medium yellow onion
4 small to medium red potatoes
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 ounces goat cheese
salt and pepper
¼ cup whole milk
½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
Chives, cut in strips for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Use a mandoline or chef's knife to slice the beets, onions and potatoes into very, very thin slices, about ⅛ -inch or less. Toss the sliced vegetables with the olive oil in a large bowl.
Pour a small drizzle of olive oil in a casserole dish (around 8 or 9 inches square) and spread it around the bottom and sides. Place ⅓ of the beets and potato slices in the bottom of the dish—no need to layer them beets-potato-beets-etc.—then season with salt and pepper. Top with half of the goat cheese, scattered evenly in large chunks.
Repeat with another ⅓ of the vegetables, seasoning again with salt and pepper and topping with the other ½ of the goat cheese. Finish by layering on the final ⅓ of the vegetables and seasoning with salt and pepper.
Pour the milk over the entire dish. Top with the parmesan cheese. Bake, covered, for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake 15 more minutes, until the top browns. Sprinkle the chive stripes over the top, if using.
Serves 6
__________
George's notes:
- You can serve the Gratin by either using a biscuit cutter or just a serving spoon, as demonstrated in my photo.
- Also, this Gratin taste terrific with a layer of thinly sliced fennel for that added twist of flavor.
George, you must stop this... it's 6:20am pst and all I can think about is "where can I find fresh beets"!? ;) The recipe sounds wonderful... I can taste it.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, your granola recipe is simple and wonderful! Hope you have a great weekend.
I never thought to be beets in a gratin what a great use of one of my favorite vegetables!
ReplyDeleteOoh, good job. It's hard to go wrong with a gratineed dish : ]
ReplyDeleteLove this, George; just wish I could find the golden beets now. This would taste wonderful with the goat cheese and parm and would make a great addition to Christmas dinner!
ReplyDeleteI'm not a beet eater, but you have me wanting to try and find some beets! These look and sound amazing. I bet the goat cheese and the parm give it a nice tart and salty pop.
ReplyDeleteMy husband would be thrilled to have this. I've never thought of make a gratin that includes beets. Very smart! My local farm stand should have some fresh golden beets--which I think are so pretty. I'll have to make this, for two, which I think will be very easy to do-- like in individual ramekins!
ReplyDeleteThis is wonderful in its simplicity. I can just imagine those lovely flavors rolling on my tongue. George, thanks for shaing this recipe with us. It is unique.
ReplyDeleteHard to find those golden beets. The fennel would really put it over the top for me. I love fennel. Thanks.
ReplyDeletealthough i don't mind cream and cheese being the heavy-hitters in a dish, i do occasionally like when vegetables shine through. this sounds outstanding!
ReplyDeleteI have seen the golden beet seeds available and must try growing some. This is a wonderful recipe. Thanks George
ReplyDeleteHi Geoge! I sure hope you saved me some. :) This looks fabulous. I adore beets, and I hope to get my hands on some golden ones so I can make this very soon.
ReplyDeleteIt's always such a pleasure to come visit your blog, it is one of my very favorites. You're a natural at this.
Have a great weekend! ~m
This looks like a great recipe with one of my favorite combinations - beets and goat cheese.
ReplyDeleteI've never been a big fan of beets but I have recently started to appreciate them. I think this recipe would be really delicious.
ReplyDeleteNice recipe, George! I'm going to try it next week.
ReplyDeleteI had a golden beet and heirloom tomato salad the other day...it was wonderful. Nothing tastes better than fresh beets. Even all by themselves!
What a delicious-looking and sounding dish! Just perfect. I have some red beetroot in the fridge - I might give them this treatment.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous--I wish I could find the golden beets more readily here, this dish looks so good.
ReplyDeleteVery nice George.. it looks good. I might just get all out into your style of cooking. Sounds healthy and tasty. Love the way you write too.
ReplyDeleteWell I tried it and it was good. Made a couple of tweaks but my husband agreed it was delicious.
ReplyDelete