Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Grilled Cheese & Chutney Sandwiches...

Sometimes I just don’t know what to have for lunch. It’s that meal that far too often I skip or grab something to go. Well, yesterday I was in the mood for a grilled cheese. So I started to pull out some sour-dough bread and my favorite cheese ~ a nice nutty Gruyere. As I was doing this, I had to move things around and low and behold, I came across Caroline’s Cranberry Chutney. What does a guy do, but use it on his grilled cheese. Let me tell you, it was outstanding ~ full of melted gooeyness and just the right amount of tart sweetness from the chutney. Give it a try, I know you will enjoy!



Grilled Cheese & Chutney Sandwiches

Ingredients:
4 slices sour-dough bread
8 ounces Gruyere cheese, thinly sliced
1 cup chutney
2 tablespoons butter

Make two sandwiches with the bread, cheese, and chutney.

In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and cook the sandwiches until the cheese has melted and the bread is golden brown; about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Cut sandwich before serving.

Makes 2 sandwiches

__________

George’s notes:
  • I think some Major Grey’s Mango Chutney would be a great choice, also.
  • I bet a good sharp cheddar like Gloucestershire would be good on this sandwich.


Print

18 comments:

  1. I think I have a very similar recipe in Real Simple of December (yeah I read Real Simple. And actually like it!). Yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you've reminded me how much I like chutney on a sandwich!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy have you ever tried Branson Pickle from the UK?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chutney and CHEESE. Sorry I couldn't drop over for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a tasty sandwich. I love chutney with melted cheese - mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful pairing of ingredients. It sounds so scrumptious that I plan to try this for lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I discovered apricot compote and grilled cheese sandwiches...fig jam and grilled cheese... all great! Now, I'll have to give this a whirl. Gruyere is one of my all time favorite cheeses.
    Great photo, too. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. a little tart, a bit salty, a taste of sweetness--this is the epitome of the perfect grilled cheese. bravo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that's what I call a sandwich! Perfect in every way! And that photo...WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doesn't get much better than a simple, delicious grilled cheese sandwich. I could go for one just like this right now. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  11. George, this post proves once again that is simple is best. It is only a short jump before I make myself a grilled chutney n'cheese sandwich. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It does look wonderful but I like my grilled cheese straight up! I don't think I could bring myself to mess with it??? It's my favorite comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love cranberry and brie--especially if it is cranberry chutney and I imagine that Gruyere would be amazing too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brie is another fantastic cheese to have with cranberry sauce, or with mango chutney!

    I love grilled cheese. There are just so many different ways you can make it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks to me like this is just the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich. I will have to remember this one when the urge for a grilled cheese strikes (which is often)!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have so much chutney in the pantry... I really want some of these! It reminds me that some of the worst burns I've ever given my mouth was a grilled cheese & chutney sandwich at school - but I still love it!

    ReplyDelete