Monday, November 2, 2009

Leek Frittata...

Last evening I wanted something easy, but flavorful. Eggs sounded appealing, so I made a frittata. According to the Wikipedia ~ a frittata is "a kind of Italian omelet that can contain cheese and various vegetables. Frittatas are cooked slowly. Most often, they are cooked on the stovetop on low heat until the eggs are set, and then run under the broiler, but they can also be baked. Except for the cooking fat, all ingredients are fully mixed with the eggs before cooking starts." I experimented with this frittata by using a combination of ingredients I had on-hand – eggs, leeks, garlic, Parmesan, cheddar cheese and some marinated sun-dried tomatoes and it seems the experiment was a success. Along with a mixed green salad, this dinner was just what I wanted.



Leek Frittata

Ingredients:
2 bunch leeks, cleaned, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, minced
6 large eggs
2 tablespoon milk
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Sun-dried tomatoes, about 2 tablespoon chopped
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
½ cup cheddar cheese, grated

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Sauté leeks in butter in an oven-proof, stick-free skillet, until translucent, about 4-5 minutes on medium heat. Add garlic and cook a minute further.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and Parmesan cheese. Add in chopped sun-dried tomatoes, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set aside.

Spread out leeks mixture evenly on bottom of skillet. Pour egg mixture over leeks mixture. Use a spatula to lift up the leeks mixture along the sides of the pan to let egg mixture flow underneath.

Sprinkle cheddar cheese over the top of the frittata mixture. When the mixture is about half set, put the whole pan in the oven. Bake for 13-15 minutes, until frittata is puffy and golden. Remove from oven with oven mitts and let cool for several minutes. Although the pan may be out of the oven for a few minutes, the handle is still very hot. To keep from accidentally picking it up by the handle while hot (speaking from experience, ouch!) take a piece of ice and melt it against the pan's handle to cool it down.

Cut into quarters to serve.

Serves four

Print

16 comments:

  1. Frittatas are one of our favorite ways to cook eggs. It's also a great way to clean out the fridge. Your combo is perfect...especially the sun-dried tomatoes. I also like that frittatas are easy to reheat, or be eaten at room temp. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leeks would be perfect in a frittata! Good idea, George. Was scrolling down wondering what cheeses you would use. Parmesan AND cheddar...nice choices!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love making frittatas. Yours looks wonderful, now I am craving leeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debby... You're right about clearing the fridge by putting everything in one dish. It also helps with the clean up.

    kat... That it was!

    Barbara... Those two cheese are just good staples and I always have them on hand.

    Pam... I think leeks are the forgotten vegetable that has so many uses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm not a huge leek fan, but the fritatta sure makes it looks appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't Frittattas the best thing ever. Anything works in them. I have not tried just leeks. I made a frittatta this weekend and it will probably get served this week or next week. Oh yes they freeze nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! I never thought in using leek for fritatta, great idea...looks yummie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love frittatas. That too with Giada whipping up many versions of them. I end having it almost every other day. Leek is a interesting addition. Shall give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love leeks and putting them into a frittata is a great idea. A perfect light mea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so in the mood for a frittata right now after see this. The leeks are a great idea. Your apple strudel looks terrific too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Leeks are good in so many things. Your frittata looks scrumptious. Good for supper or brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bren… I have found that leeks have a very neutral flavor, thus one can use them in so many different ways. It took me a wait to start cooking with them, but now I use them a lot.

    Lucia… Frittatas is second to a simple omelet, but I do like that they are so versatile. Good to know they freeze well, thanks for the tip.

    Juliana… Definitely give it a try; leeks give anything a nice twist.

    VS… Isn’t the old saying, “a frittata a day, keeps the… “! Oh, right that was an apple. Kidding aside, I am a huge fan of Giada; she cooks in such an easy comfortable way.

    Deb… eating light is sometimes hard to do, as the season changes to shorter days & cooler night. So, a frittata hits the spot.

    Debbie… Thanks, glad you are enjoying my post and I could give you an idea for supper. How was the hiking trip?

    Penny… You are so right about leeks. Hope your weekend with your friends was a good one and you will post some pictures, past & present.

    ReplyDelete
  13. one of my favorite combos - especially for dinner! looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love fritatta! I have tried only vegetable, I guess this one's just more than amazing with leeks and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Leeks love eggs, don't they?

    Been so behind in my reading, I'm just getting to this post now. But, it's making me think about what to do with all those leeks left in the garden.

    ReplyDelete