Over this past weekend, the fall weather was starting to fill the air with light frost in the morning, warm sunny afternoons and the setting sun bringing long shadows to the tall Georgia pines. The cool evenings were perfect for mulled wine; a classic fall drink and a delicious way to warm up when the temperatures start to drop. This easy recipe I use, takes your favorite red wine to the next level with a blend of common spices that you probably already in your cabinet.
Mulled WineIngredients:
Cinnamon stick
Juice from ½ of a lemon
½ teaspoon Angostura bitters
4 ounces dry red wine
¼ cup sugar
Heat 4 ounces of red wine in kettle, do not boil.
Pour into mug and dissolve ¼ cup of granulated sugar in wine.
Add juice of ½ lemon and ½ teaspoon of bitters.
Stir with 1 cinnamon stick and serve, leaving cinnamon stick in cup or mug. Garnish with a slive of lemon.
I'm making something similar on Christmas every year, but I guess this drink would be such a perfect thing in a cold, rainy autumn day as well! :)
ReplyDeleteYOu truly have a great blog going here.
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like a perfect drink George. Love your posts.
ReplyDeletewow. I DO have all of these ingredients in my pantry. How exciting! Now if only there was a bit of fall weather.
ReplyDeleteGosh, I haven't had that in ages. Delicious recipe, George.
ReplyDeleteIt's going to have to wait a bit though- still really hot in Florida!
grrr gnash, gnash...those lucky bum Florida gals.... we have a dusting of snow on the grass.... perfect time for a lovely warm drink with my popcorn and a movie...
ReplyDeleteOh! In Brazil we used to make something similar to this...great for the kind of weather that we are experiencing, although lately has been hot...will save it for the cold nigths :-)
ReplyDeleteThat sounds very delicious and perfect for this time of year when the nights get chilly!
ReplyDeleteGeorge, will have to toast you with a chilled glass of crisp cider this end or a glass of champagne for Melbourne Cup next week. Bring on Summer I say.
ReplyDeleteIan
Could you greet me with one of these when I come in from raking the leaves please? Thank you
ReplyDeleteMulled wine is one of my favorite items to have when it's cold outside...so warming and delicious!
ReplyDeleteIf the heat and humidity dies down here anytime soon, I will try this for sure. I love mulled wine. ;-)
ReplyDeleteI really like the angostura bitters addition! I usually use cinnamon, cloves and ginger in my mulled wine.
ReplyDelete