
Mom's Never Fail Divinity
Ingredients:
1½ cup sugar
¼ cup water
¼ teaspoon salt
1 pint marshmallow crème
½ cup chopped nuts (optional)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
In a saucepan, combine sugar, water and salt; bring to a boil. Cook to syrup thickens. Place marshmallow crème in a mixing bowl; beat in sugar syrup until candy hold a shape. Fold in nuts and vanilla.
On a greased baking sheet, drop teaspoonfuls of the mixture and let cool.
To keep divinity fresh, store in an air-tight container in a cool place.
Makes about 24 pieces
George’s notes:
- Divinity is a classic! It's also a bit temperamental when the weather is hot and humid, so it is best to attempt divinity in low-humidity conditions.
- Divinity can be poured into a 9-inch square pan, cooled, and cut into small squares instead of being dropped from a spoon.
I think Divinity must truly be a Southern thing as this Northern girl has never ever had it!
ReplyDeleteOh no...I grew up in Iowa and my cousin made it every Christmas. She is no longer with us, but can't even hear the name Divinity without thinking of her. Being in Florida, finding that low humidity might be a challenge. smile
ReplyDeleteYou're right about the humidity factor when it comes to divinity... fortunately, we tend to make it around the holidays when it's plenty dry in the house!
ReplyDeleteHaven't had this in years, though... might be time to make up a batch!
Would you adopt me? Divinity. Love the stuff. I've never made it, but I keep telling myself to conquer the fear and just do it! Your mom must be a fabulous cook. Is that where you learned your skills?
ReplyDeleteOK, so I've heard of this thing called Divinity but I've never seen it or ate it. Now mystery solved.
ReplyDeleteQuite new to me.. well, it is not surpring becos I am not familiar with all of American cuisine. I am quite glad you are sharing these wonderful recipes. Its a treat!
ReplyDeleteIts new to me....Looks like meringue.
ReplyDeleteMy Mother used to make divinity when I was a kid and I loved it! I haven't tried making it for some reason... Thanks George, you made it sound easy.
ReplyDeleteOh I have never had or heard of it either...but it does look divine! Oh I shall have to try this George....beautiful!
ReplyDeleteAlthough we are not Southern--my Mom makes divinity every year--white, pink and green so it reminds me of my childhood too. Spoon dropped but no nuts. It's a classic! ;-)
ReplyDeleteI have never heard of this but anything with a name like Divinity must be delicious. I will have to try it.
ReplyDeleteThis dessert Gaston looks gorgeous, and I absolutely love fluffy desserts, like mousses and marshmallow yum yum..thanks a lot :)
ReplyDeleteRico from England (who is Portuguese) lol