Sunday, December 6, 2009

‘Twas the Night Before Sugar Plums...

As a child, I only knew of sugar plums through The Nutcracker and ‘Twas the Night Before Christmas. Several years ago when I had a subscription to Gourmet, I jotted down a recipe for sugar plums, mostly because I had never tasted one before. These sugar plums are confections, not the fruits that you can read about on Wikipedia. They are quite easy to make and tend to be a huge hit with people who either don’t care for chocolate or just enjoy spices and dried fruits in a delectable bite. It’s a terrific aroma that floats through your house when you make a batch: the smells of orange peel, nutmeg, cinnamon, toasted almonds, honey.

I usually dust the sugar plums with confectioners’ sugar before serving. They stay fresh for sometime, thus making them perfect for the holidays. I sometimes tie them up in small little packages and give them as gifts with a copy the famed Sugar Plum story!


‘Twas the Night Before Sugar Plums

Ingredients:
12-ounce package pitted prunes
8-ounce package chopped dates
6-ounce package dried apricots
½ cup pecans, finely chopped (optional)
¼ cup graham cracker crumbs
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
½ teaspoon grated lemon zest
⅔ cup sugar

In the bowl of a food processor, process the prunes, dates and apricots until finely chopped, about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.

Transfer to a large bowl and add pecans, graham cracker crumbs and the orange and lemon zest. Mix completely. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.

Using your palms, shape into ¾ -inch balls. Roll the balls in sugar and place on a baking sheet. Cover and chill for 1 hour.

You may then want to put the balls in small paper cups. Store in airtight container, refrigerated. Serve at room temperature.

Makes 5 dozen


__________

George's notes:
  • Wrap these delectable bites in small festive boxes and give as gifts.
  • These Sugar Plums freeze well, so you can make them early and bring out for Christmas Eve.


Print

19 comments:

  1. I guess I never really new what sugar plums were either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really delicious and very festive I loved it, thanks for the share Gaston ..... rico :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left my food processor in Lake Lure, but we are returning for the holidays, so these are one of the first things I will make. Great idea George.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so great! I know we will love this. Actually, we are a couple of folks who really love fruitcake also. I like that it is healthy with the dried fruit and does not include flour. Can't wait. Thanks, George.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These remind me a lot of larabars which are essentially raw foodie energy bars. Their main ingredients are dates but they always have other things mixed in. I love how the ingredients in these are all so healthy. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the picture and the recipe sounds like a healthy one.. thank you George

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello George this is Pierre in France
    these little things looks very good and I had never heard before ! each country has its own traditions !! thanks for the sharing !
    Cheers from Paris
    Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  8. "And visions of sugar plums"....well, Geaorge, I never knew what they were either so I am happy you wrote this! They are a vision! I am going to make these as they are healthier than those Buckeye Balls...you know the ones...peanut butter and confectioners' sugar and coated in chocolate!!
    LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful holiday treat and to think no baking required. You have some wonderful recipes, George. It's always a pleasure to visit here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never truly understood what a sugar plum was. These are actually healthy treats, George, so thank you so much. I am adding the ingredients to my shopping list and making a batch tomorrow. I'll have to run them through my Weight Watcher recipe builder to determine how many I can eat. Merci for a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh George, you just found the answer to my problem with what to add to a few little cards and gifts around the office. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look great! I am experimenting this week with what my local co-op sells and calls "raw donut holes" that have dates, dried fruit almond butter and coconut--these look similar in appearance and texture. I hope my version ends up looking as good as these do.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice click and recipe sounds great....

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great recipe but how about a soaking the fruit in brandy before processing to give it an extra kick..maybe not a treat for children in that case.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear George--made these today and they are WONDERFUL! Love the essence of orange, especially. Thanks for a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susan... I am so glad you liked them. They are my all time favorite ~ mainly because you don't have to bake them.

    I do like Ian Percy's suggestion about soaking them. I will have to make a batch like that. Thanks Ian.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made a batch of these today and will have my post up on Sunday with a link back to your wonderful blog. I love them and will have to make more, I'm certain.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look really wonderful! I can't help thinking whether adding a little splash of cointreau and enrobing them in chocolate would work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Foodycat.... I'd go with the cointreau and save the chocolate for another day.

    ReplyDelete