A month or so ago, I was invited to a birthday bash at a friend's house and asked to bring a dish to contribute to the dinner, so I immediately thought of lasagna. At the party, the table groaned with beautiful entrées, creative salads and appetizing desserts, but my simple platter of pasta emptied the fastest. Just last week one of the other guests who had been at that party asked me if I would bring "that mushroom pasta dish" to their potluck dinner. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be in town, so I thought I would share it here.
I love to participate in the process of sharing recipes, because of the creative differences we all add to the food we eat. I like to think that other cooks all over the world, making their interpretations of the same basic recipe, passing them on and making the food we eat endlessly interesting.
Here is my interruption of lasagna:

Mushroom Lasagna
Ingredients:
6 - 8 ounces fresh mushrooms (morels, chanterelles, oyster, etc.)
1 cup heavy cream
1½ cup reduced low-sodium chicken stock, preferably homemade
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoon flour
¼ cup white wine
salt and pepper to taste
1 clove garlic, minced
¼ cup parsley, minced
Parmeggiano-Reggiano, shredded
pinch fresh nutmeg
½ pound flat lasagna
white truffle oil (optional)
Add the cream into the stock mixture and warm in a small saucepan.
Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter until it foams. Add flour and make a roux, stirring, for about a minute until it just starts to darken in color. Add stock/cream mixture and stir in the nutmeg. Simmer sauce 1 hour in a double boiler until it coats the spoon nicely. Remove from heat and set aside.
Sauté the mushrooms in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter on medium high heat, stirring constantly. When the mushroom color begins to deepen and they dry out a bit, add additional and the wine. Raise heat and briskly reduce the liquid to a syrupy glaze on the mushrooms, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and most of the parsley and stir a few times over heat and then remove from heat and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
Break up the sheets of pasta into irregular pieces and cook the pasta al dente.
Scrape the mushrooms into the cream sauce, give it a stir and correct the seasoning. Drain the pasta well and mix it with the sauce in a buttered casserole dish. Sprinkle with the cheese, drizzle with truffle oil, and bake 15 - 20 min or more until browned and crusty on top. Garnish with remaining parsley and serve immediately, with additional cheese on the side.
I usually serve this with a salad, crusty bread and a glass of Merlot for a simple supper, but for a more elaborate meal it would make a nice pasta course in front of beef tenderloin or other meat entrées.
Serves 6
__________
George’s notes:
- You may assemble this recipe, but not bake ahead of time. Just keep refrigerated. Allow to come to room temperature before baking, or extend the baking time, and give the pasta a good toss with tongs to be sure it's well coated with the sauce before baking.
- Although the lasagna is generally believed to have originated in Italy; but the recipe was featured in the first cookbook ever written in England, leading to an urban legend that the dish originated in the British Isles.
I love this George! I am a huge fan of lasagna and mushrooms so this dish is right up my ally!
ReplyDeleteI never knew lasagna may have originated in the British Isles! I think I like it even more now! :)
Stacey (Stacey Snacks) should have seen this recipe! She just posted how she was craving mushrooms. I love this recipe a LOT. It would be perfect to make for a vegetarian dinner guest we are expecting. Thank you for the inspiration!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds fantastic. I am partial to white sauced pastas over red sauced.
ReplyDeleteI love mushrooms! This lasagna looks rich and delicious - nicely done George.
ReplyDeleteOh my George. I can't do it... yet. lol This sounds deliciously delightful: one of my favorite foods, mushrooms, and with that added touch of truffle oil, a lasagna like no other.
ReplyDeleteI can't help but approve of a lasagne dish with the earthiness of mushrooms! And truffle oil! This looks divine.
ReplyDeleteNow the big question, are you available for my birthday gala??
Whether it has originated in England or in Italy, don't mind..I love it :D Never tried the mushroom one and it looks great.Thanks George :-)
ReplyDeleteLo, I'll have to check my schedule!
ReplyDeleteMuch prefer white lasagna to red. And I never met a mushroom I didn't love.
ReplyDeleteI saw Ina Garten make a mushroom lasagna and copied the recipe. Will take a look and combine the best of each!
Oh my...you really are good at this. Everything you post makes me want it right now. This will definitely be prepared at our house, a little later.
ReplyDeleteI'm loving this, George! This is a wonderful version of lasagna...no wonder this dish dissapeared the quickest!
ReplyDeletehold the phone--lasagna isn't italian? say it ain't so! regardless of its origins, it's one of my favorite comfort foods...even if mushrooms are involved. :)
ReplyDeleteGrace, you know how those "urban legends" get start. Many urban legends are framed as complete stories with plot and characters. Or it is just folklore handed down as if it where fact!
ReplyDeleteOh George...this is a great idea! I have never seen a lasagna with mushrooms. Although many vegetarian versions have a multitude of veggies stuck in them, it is such a 'mish mash' of colours and flavours that it ruins it for me. This simple ingredient with the subtle garlic and parsley is superb! Well done my friend. I shall make this and impress the dinner guests this weekend.
ReplyDeleteI've never met a mushroom I didn't love. This looks absolutely delicious. I don't really care for ricotta stuffed lasagna. I've been into spinach lasagna lately since it's so pretty and I have a good recipe for it. Will have to try your filling, so thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteOh YUM! What a rich and hearty pasta dish. I love anything with mushrooms.
ReplyDeleteYou just can't go wrong with a creamy mushroom pasta! I also really like that lasagna is so easy to tweak and re-invent.
ReplyDeleteGeorge, this lasagna is so different...mushrooms...very creative and looks absolutely delicious :-)
ReplyDeleteThe mushrooms and white sauce make this one a winner for me--it looks incredible!
ReplyDeleteLuckily you brought along your lasagna, otherwise, the party seemed like missing something, hehe...
ReplyDeleteNow that Matt has decided he likes mushrooms I totally want to try this
ReplyDelete