Unfortunately, while truly wonderful, a proper lasagna is also time-consuming and surprisingly expensive to make. This version uses ravioli, which combines the pasta and ricotta in one step, and uses a jar sauce to save time. I kept it pretty basic, but there’s a lot of room for making this recipe your own, depending on what you like or what you have at hand. You can use ground turkey or chicken in place of the ground beef, and even toss in some smoked sausage or bacon. This lasagna goes together very quickly, feeds a crowd economically and will satisfy your lasagna longings in no time flat!I have also submitted this recipe to Presto Pasta Nights which was started by Ruth Daniels at Once Upon a Feast - Every Kitchen Tells It's Stories. I understand that this is week #148 of the Presto Pasta Nights series ~ that is amazing work, Ruth! This week's guest host is Chaya at Sweet & Savory, so give her site a look. She always has some creative treats in healthier eating and in new methods of cooking.

Ravioli Lasagna
Ingredients:
1 lb ground beef
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 - 26 oz jar quality pasta sauce
½ cup water
1½ lb whole milk mozzarella, grated
¼ cup minced fresh parsley
¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 - 25 oz packages frozen cheese ravioli
In a large pot, set 6 quarts of salted water on to boil.
Meanwhile, cook the ground beef with the garlic in a large saucepan until just done, breaking the beef into small pieces as it cooks. Drain off the excess oil and stir in the sauce. Shake ½ cup of water in the sauce jar and pour the water into the saucepan. Cover and bring to a simmer.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix together the cheeses and the minced parsley and set aside.
Cook the ravioli according to package directions; drain and rinse.
To assemble: Coat a 9 X 13 inch baking pan with cooking spray and spoon a little sauce in the bottom. Place a single layer of ravioli in the pan, overlapping slightly; then top with a third of the remaining sauce and a third of the cheese/parsley mix. Repeat the ravioli/sauce/cheese layers, adding some additional grated cheese to the top layer, if you wish.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
Serves 8
__________
George’s notes:
- The history of ravioli is quite old. The earliest evidence we have of ravioli in the Mediterranean is found in the statutes of the Cathedral of Nice in 1233, which report of crosete sui rafiole' ~ “a ravioli pie.”
- 15th century Italian Ravioli recipe: "Ravioli ~ Get a pound and a half of old cheese and a little new creamy cheese, and a pound of porkbelly or loin of veal that should be boiled until well cooked, then grind it up well; get well ground fragrant herbs, pepper, cloves, ginger and saffron, adding in a well ground breast of capon, and mix in all of this together; make a thin dough and wrap nut-sized amounts of the mixture in it; set these ravioli to cook in the fat broth of a capon or of some other good meat, with a little saffron, and let them boil for half an hour; then dish them out, garnishing them with a mixture of grated chreese and good spices." ---The Neapolitan Recipe Collection, Cuoco Napoletano

I must say, I've not had ravioli lasagna before.....but why I've not heard of it is beyond me. What a terrific idea! A double layer of goodness and flavour in our more 'traditional' lasagna. That is to say, our western version of lasagna! I will have to ask my good Italian colleagues if they ever make something similar. Love the simplicity of this George....I find too often people try to stuff everything but the kitchen sink in their lasagna....and then call it creative! Thanks once again for the 'George's Notes'.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea for an economic lasagna. I love the cheesy lasagna and agree that it is quite something coming out bubbling off the oven. Thanks for sharing and recipe and an information packed post as always
ReplyDeleteWhat a cool idea using ravioli in lasagna!
ReplyDeleteThis certainly simplifies lasagna. It will go into my file for when I am cooking for a crowd. Thanks George.
ReplyDeleteThis is fantastic George! I love it!
ReplyDeleteThat looks terrific and must have a special taste; I imagine the secret is to get good ravioli. When we were in Europe, I was very surprised to see how popular ravioli was in restaurants ans supermakets. I am just starting to get used to ravioli; bad experiences when I was younger.
ReplyDeleteMy grandmother used to make a killer lasagna. I have never made it; it's just too much work for me, given that I'm simply not that fond of pasta. Using the ravioli is a splendid idea - seems like it would be a time saver.
ReplyDeleteI love this recipe, George. Easy to throw together and it sounds really flavorful. Using frozen ravioli is an amazing idea. Would never have thought of it.
ReplyDeleteAnd I'm always for cheese and more cheese. What could be better?
What a fantastic idea! Why haven't I thought of doing this?
ReplyDeleteThis really is a great idea. Terrific for working parents!
ReplyDeleteThis is a great idea. I know it tastes wonderful..all the good stuff is included in the recipe. Thanks.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed the history of the ravioli George, one of my faves and you are so right about lasagne and the wobbly knees lol. Your recipe sounds and looks delicious and I will definitely try this while with the kids across the pond. I once tried a Delia Smith recipe for lasagne al forno, (deliaonline.com) the sauce had to be cooked in the oven for four hours, then assembled. the flavours were so intense, a lot of work though.
ReplyDeleteI am off to check out your friends blogs. Thank you kindly for your lovely comments on my son photos, Kathy.
Sounds delicious - never had lasagna that way before! I love the old Italian recipe for ravioli!
ReplyDeleteGeorge, great post and what a heavenly dish to share with Presto Pasta Nights.
ReplyDeleteI love lasagna, not so much the prep, but you've made that excuse a non issue. Thanks, I can't wait to try it.
well this is brilliant! a time-saver, but just as good as what results when one does battle with the long, limp lasagna noodles. great idea, george--thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteLOL, you beat me to it! I've been meaning to post my own version of this. I love this idea, because it's quick. Now, I'm craving it again. Thanks for reminding me how economical and fast this it to make-- it's a family favorite.
ReplyDeleteI must confess to never having tried this, but the idea is intriguing. I even saw a pierogi lasagna a while back. I love meat and mushroom and lobster ravioli; cheese, not so much. I think I'll have to make a half recipe for DSO and I to try. Yours looks very tasty!!!
ReplyDeleteLove your footnotes. They are always so informative. Things I've never heard before,thanks. I too have made this many times over. Mike and I have always known it to be "Baked Ravioli", though it's always a favorite of ours. Didn't know it was also known as Ravioli Lasagna. I am a sucker for pasta anything though. I guess I really should check out Presto Pasta Nights. Funny tonight is Shrimp Fra Diavolo night, another of our favorites.
ReplyDeleteGeorge this is fantastic, I mean really fantastic. You've taken all the work out and given us all the flavor and CHEESE!!!A man that can cook....George will you marry me.....tap tap ....are you still there??? Scared another one away! HA HA!!
ReplyDeleteIt looks like a great way to put a quick and delicious meal together--Yum!
ReplyDeleteBunny, a tempting offer ~ as the light bulb above my head turns on..... imagine me sitting at my desk in deep thought - then the light brings me back to my senses.
ReplyDeleteThis has to be a delicious dish.
ReplyDeleteA side issue - I am always glad to see Ruth given credit for what she has done with PPN. She is one special lady.
I used to make a dish like this all the time. I actually prefer a ravioli lasagna to the traditional kind - I feel that it's easier to eat. Either way, great recipe!
ReplyDeleteI love the way you simplified this recipe but left open the door to additions and creativity. Thanks for sharing with us at Presto Pasta Night. I enjoy your notes.
ReplyDeleteI've done something similar to this before and got the idea from Rachael Ray (shockingly). This looks fantastic. So much easier and cheaper than lasagna, but just as delicious.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea!
ReplyDeleteLasagne from scratch is such a hassle, which is why I love the idea of using frozen ravioli instead. I am going to give this a try some time.
ReplyDeleteI also enjoyed the history too - very informative. Thanks for sharing both with us!