
Pea & Ham Soup
Ingredients:
3 cups of fresh shelled peas, divided*
1 cup of the pods from the peas
~ picked over, removing the ends
1 shallot, cut in half
1 clove of garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
kosher salt
fresh cracked pepper
1 cup ham, cubed
In a large Dutch oven type pot, heat olive oil on medium and add garlic, pods, and shallot. Cook for about 3 minutes. Then add 2 cups of the peas and the stock. Season with salt and pepper, to taste and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and puree until smooth. Return to the pot and add the reminder of the peas and the ham. Place pot on a medium heat burner and warm for about 5 to 10 minutes, so all is heated through.
* I like to use some of the whole peas to give the soup texture, but you can puree all 3 cups, if you prefer.
Serves 4
__________
George’s notes:
- Pea soup with diced ham is a hearty, soul-warming bowl of delicious goodness. It's also one of the easiest soup recipes there is to prepare.
- The common garden pea, also known simply as green pea. But there's nothing common about its flavor, particularly during the peak months of March, April and May and again from August to November. The French are famous for their tiny, young green peas known as petits pois. Choose peas that have plump, unblemished, bright green pods; the peas inside should be glossy, crunchy and sweet.
Yummm! How beautiful pic! Sounds delicious! I love ham.
ReplyDeleteLooks delicious. Never thought to use fresh or frozen peas. You must have a great market where you are to get fresh peas, we are not so fortunate here in NC. Funny though I just bought dried split peas and Ham hocks this week-end.
ReplyDeleteHave never used fresh or frozen peas in my pea soup. How wonderful. Yes, this cold is getting very old. Should be 74 on Friday.
ReplyDeleteI really need to give pea soup another chance, I love peas & ham, I should love this
ReplyDeleteI don't think I've ever made soup with fresh frozen peas. I've always used dried one. I love the vibrant color and I expect the flavor is as bright and fresh as well.
ReplyDeleteLovely soup, George, and one I will most definitely try. I have a bit of ham left over from Christmas that will be just the right addition.
good morning George! great looking soup and I love the simplicity of your recipe. In a few months we should have some fresh peas in the garden but in the interim we'll just have to settle for frozen. ;)
ReplyDeleteI've made pea soup with dried peas and pea pod soup (from a recipe I invented from Takashimaya's Tea Box restaurant in NYC- which is the best pea pod soup I've ever had) but never one with fresh peas! Love the idea. The color is intense. Yummy, George.
ReplyDeletePea soup is one of my favorites, especially with ham. It sounds delicious and perfect for right now!
ReplyDeleteI love traditional pea soup. I really like that you used fresh peas, rather than dried. I also like that you left many of them "whole". This is a whole fresh twist on a classic soup. I could easily adapt this to be vegetarian... sheesh, you've given me a lot of ideas. It's safe to say that I LOVE this recipe!
ReplyDeleteoh wow this soup looks amazing love the color
ReplyDeletehow cool that you included some of the pods--i've never tried that! great recipe, george!
ReplyDeleteI love this recipe, George. That it can be made in such a short period of time is wonderful. We had our first fresh pea soup while we were in Cambodia and it has since become a favorite of ours. I love the fact that you make the recipe in two stages and have fresh peas and chinks of ham at the end. Very nice!
ReplyDeleteI wish for fresh peas also, but alas I don't think I have even ever seen them in the store. This soup looks fantastic! I love the green hue.
ReplyDeleteThis looks like a wonderfully hearty, smoky and savory soup. I agree with you on the frozen peas, they are more convenient and sweeter than off the shelf.
ReplyDeleteWhat a gorgeous-looking soup! I've only ever used dried split peas for my soup. Silly me: I adore split pea soup, but I don't eat green peas. I know....
ReplyDeleteBeautiful soup--ham and peas go so well together.
ReplyDeleteGreat recipe and so different from what I make with dried peas;will have to wait for summer to try that one.
ReplyDeleteGreat photo George. I've never made ham and pea soup with fresh peas. I'm likin this idea!
ReplyDeleteNice soup. I haven't seen a soup like this before sounds great...
ReplyDeleteI've only ever had split pea soup from dried peas but can see now that I've been missing out by not trying the real thing. This looks delicious.
ReplyDeleteIts a new recipe to me...Sounds great and refreshing...
ReplyDeleteIt certainly is that weather! I usually make pea and ham soup from split peas, but I love the fresher flavour that this version has.
ReplyDelete