Sunday, February 28, 2010

Artichoke Bottoms Gratinée...

The fleshy base section of the artichoke is referred to as the artichoke bottom. The artichoke is a tall plant that is a relative of the thistle plant and native to Mediterranean regions, but is also grown in other parts of the world. It consists of tough, pointed, green leaves that are tightly packed around a gray-green base or bottom. It is the fleshy base of the leaves and the fleshy center or heart of the artichoke that are the sections of the plant most suitable for eating. Artichoke bottoms have a tender texture and flavorful taste, similar to the artichoke heart. The bottoms, like the heart, can be served as snacks, appetizers or as a tasty ingredient for salads and other side dishes.

Over the years that I have been cooking, the artichoke is one ingredient that I love to add to many of my recipes. I have added them to chicken pot pie, I’ve stuffed them and I put them into omelets. As stated above, they are very versatile and full of flavor. It should be noted also that artichokes have useful medical properties, like reducing cholesterol levels, which diminishes the risk for arteriosclerosis and coronary heart disease.

What I like about this recipe is that the most laborious part of it is opening the can of artichokes. So, get ready to put up your feet and sip something cool while you wait for this to cook.




Artichoke Bottoms Gratinée

Ingredients:
1 15-ounce can artichoke bottoms, rinsed, drained, and patted dry
1-2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon grated lemon peel
½ cup panko breadcrumbs

Arrange the artichoke bottoms concave side up in a lightly greased baking dish. Combine the remaining ingredients except for the line nuts in a small bowl and stir to combine. Spoon the cheese mixture into the artichoke bottoms and sprinkle the panko breadcrumbs on top. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 20 minutes.

Serves 4 to 6

__________

George’s notes:
  • The origin of artichokes is unknown, though they are said to have come from the North Africa, where they are still found in the wild state. The seeds of artichokes, probably cultivated, were found during the excavation of Mons Claudianus in Egypt during the Roman period.
  • Baby artichokes are fully mature artichokes that grow closer to the ground, sheltered by the larger leaves on the plant. They are easy to cook and prepare because the inner fuzzy portion of the choke does not develop.
  • A gratinée is any dish that is topped with cheese or bread crumbs mixed with bits of butter, then heated in the oven or under the broiler until brown and crispy. The terms au gratin or gratinée refer to any dish prepared in such a manner.



Print

22 comments:

  1. Artichoke bottoms in a can? Who knew???

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful bottom, George! Seriously... today I'm posting a recipe using artichoke hearts! Don't turn green, but I live 15 minutes from the Artichoke Capitol of the World, Castroville, California. I love artichokes and they're already showing up-- huge orbs of 'chokes for $1.50 each! I enjoy dipping the leaves into mayo or melted butter, but I'm anxiously waiting to get to the heart of things. This dish, has my name on it as I only used 1/2 bag. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Artichokes are one of my favorite veggies! I never knew that they lowered cholesterol. Take THAT Quaker oats!

    Seriously delicious dish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Artichokes are great in any form - and this one sounds like an easy to make, delicious side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i cannot wait to have a better season here in France to cook artichoke !! thanks Pierre

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely recipe. I do love artichokes. My fondest memory of artichokes...walking a back street in Rome, watching an elderly woman sitting behind a restaurant with a tray in her lap and her paring knife, trimming and paring the artichokes. Priceless in my estimation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh George, George, George....I am 100% going to make this for my wife, she who adores artichokes! It's one of my faves too. Excellent recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh wow this looks yummy, your so creative love it

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never know what to do with artichokes except steam and dip the leaves in a curry mayo and then wrestle with the rest of the plant. I don't think I've ever seen artichoke bottoms. I'll have to send out a search team. Thanks for this post George.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh george--slipping artichokes into chicken pot pie is a great idea! your dish here also looks quite appealing. you're always full of useful info and great recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love artichokes any way I can get them. Great suggestion for an underappreciated part!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Artichoke bottoms; that recipe sounds really good; so much easier artichokes in a can.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love artichokes but I think my husband is addicted to them! Nice touch to add the lemon zest!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, triple yum!!! I adore all things artichoke and this looks like a great side to add to my repertoire! Thank you for sharing this, I really enjoyed reading your post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you believe that I tried to Indianize Artichoke :D I cook it with coconut,chillies ,curry leaves etc :-)I guess ,next time I should do justice to artichoke by cooking something like this...lol...Looks fabulous, George !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! I have to remember to use artichokes more often. I didn't realize their health benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anything gratin or gratinée works for me and I love artichoke hearts--it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The only way I have used artichoke bottoms has been as a vehicle to hold bearnaise sauce on top of a filet. This looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh be still my heart, that sounds so good. One thing I miss about living in Northern California was the amazing artichokes.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this recipe George! I've always wanted to make a artichoke gratin, but the recipes always call for frozen artichokes, which I can never find in the stores. I never thought of using a can of artichokes! Thanks for the idea:D This post makes me very happy:D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this preparation and I want some now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. George,
    This is just like my artichoke dip! Yummy!
    I make an artichoke gratin and add a can of chopped tomatoes to it.
    You can't go wrong with artichokes!

    ReplyDelete