Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Penne with Roasted Pear & Goat Cheese

I have been trying to eat lighter, so I always ask my local vendors “What’s good today?” At a recent trip to my favorite cheese shop, the young lady helping me mentioned enthusiastically that they had just received a great goat cheese from a local farm ~ Granny’s Homestead Dairy. I must say that this cheese has a very creamy texture and a subtle tangy flavor from the goat’s milk.

One of my favorite ways to enjoy goat cheese is with a good, fresh pear. So I eagerly scouted the markets, hoping to find that perfect piece of complementary fruit. However, while it may be a great time of year for goat cheese, it seems the pears aren’t on quite the same schedule. The pears at my neighborhood supermarkets have been a little on the hard side recently—they may look great in the produce display, but are often just a little too firm to eat right away. At least, not without a little help—roasting them in the oven is an easy way to soften them and bring out additional flavor as well.

For a quick one-dish meal at home, I combined some crumbled goat cheese with roasted pears, walnuts, a couple of handfuls of greens and penne pasta. This is wonderful served warm, or as a cold salad the next day. Enjoy!




Penne with Roasted Pear, Goat Cheese and Walnuts

Ingredients:
8 ounce pasta, such as penne
2 pears, ripe but firm
1 tablespoon plus 3½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Juice of half a lemon
½ cup baby arugula
½ cup baby spinach
¼ cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
Pinch of sea salt

Preheat oven to 425 degree F. Slice the pear into thin wedges, leaving the skin on and removing the center core. Toss with one tablespoon of olive oil, coating lightly, then place in baking dish and roast in oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, stir again, and return to oven for an additional 5 minutes. Allow to cool, then cut into smaller bite sized pieces.

Mix together the remaining 3½ tablespoons of olive oil with the balsamic vinegar and lemon juice. Cook penne according to package directions. Drain pasta and mix in the olive oil-vinegar-lemon juice mixture, then mix in the chopped pears, arugula and baby spinach. If desired, add a little sea salt to taste. Divide among plates and top with crumbled goat cheese and chopped walnut pieces.

Serves 6

Option: Skip the pasta and just serve with extra greens as a salad.

__________

George’s notes:
  • Goat cheese, sometimes called chèvre, is a cheese product made from the milk of goats. Goat cheese comes in a wide variety of forms, although the most common is a soft, easily spread cheese. Goat cheese can also be made in hard aged varieties as well as semi firm cheeses like feta. Goat cheese is especially common in the Middle East, Africa, and some Mediterranean countries, where the hardy goat survives in areas where cows cannot.
  • Goat cheese softens when exposed to heat, although it does not melt in the same way that many cow cheeses do. Firmer goat cheeses with rinds are sometimes baked in the oven to form a gooey warm cheese which is ideal for spreading on bread with roasted garlic, or alone.
  • Recent studies show that cheese made from goat milk has more protein than cheese made from cow's milk, and is actually very similar to that of human breast milk.


Print

33 comments:

  1. What a beautiful pasta! I might just have to make that next week with some local goat cheese. I wonder how the addition of a little salty meat might be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely combination. I'm a big goat cheese fan so thanks for the idea. Great post as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks delicious. Goat cheese and pears are a natural, wonderful combination--I never thought to combine them over pasta. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a perfectly delicious looking meal, Dave.Just the thought of roasted pears had me drooling, so the addition of the other ingredients sounds wonderful. You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  5. George, how do you come up with these fantastic recipes. Absolutely love goat cheese. This is wonderful. Only wish I could find cheese like that around here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! That looks great. I am thinking handful of greens here is parseley? Never tried goat cheese will have to do that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfectly lovely pairing of ingredients, George. I usually do pears with blue cheese, but you've tempted me to expand my horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum...this looks amazing! I WISH I had access to amazing cheeses...for some reason I dont feel the local selection of KRAFT tempting me these days! Great post, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look amazing, I love got cheese, really love and waltnuts, gloria

    beauty pics!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A perfect weeknight pasta dish!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea : )
    This is a perfect pasta dish - a fruit, a vegetable, cheese and nuts for additional heartiness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a keeper with or without the pasta. Love good goat cheese; usually serve it on a salad or with a pear, but ready to try this way. Thank you.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohhh I love the combination of walnuts and pear + goat cheese.... That's also yummy as a crostini with a drizzle of chestnut honey :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of my favorite salads is made with roasted pears, gorgonzola, chicken and walnuts. No reason not to substitute goat cheese and dump everything on some pasta rather than lettuce! Sounds like a plan to me! A delicious plan.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would never have thought to roast pears, but what a gorgeous salad. I'll bet it's as good chilled as it is hot. I will have to try it with some whole wheat pasta (may I learn to like it for DSO's sake). A fabulous dish, George.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely combination of flavors and textures - it looks terrific George.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great one George, Love this combination and good at any time of year
    cheers Ian

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks like a terrific dish. I have a major weakness for pasta and this just sounds wonderful. Wish I could be as creative when I cook!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm not that fond of pasta salad, but your suggestion of using greens for a salad looks wonderful to me!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That doesn't look bahahahahad! I hope that didn't get your goat. Seriously I'll quit kidding around. (Enough with the goat jokes?)

    I didn't know most of those facts about goat cheeses. I learned a good bit here. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  21. the sweet, juicy pears and crunchy walnuts are the magnets for me, george. what a unique and flavorful pasta dish--good for you (and me, if i ever make it)! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. No at all Chris... you can't get my goat, because he's always butting in.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous combination of flavors, George, I know as I recently made a tart using these same ingredients - minus the pasta of course.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is a combination of my favorite ingredients! Sooo YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pears, goat cheese, walnuts.. and penne, what more can I ask! This looks delicious.. really!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yummie, love the combination of pear and goat cheese...looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love goat cheese and pear. How brilliant to combine them with pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Gorgeous pasta dish--a combination of some of my favorite ingredients too. Love the pear and goat cheese. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love this combination! What a winner of a recipe George:D I could probably eat this everyday and be happy.

    ReplyDelete
  30. A green salad with pears, walnuts and gorgoloza was one of the first "real" restaurant experiences I remember. It is such a perfect combination! Your goat cheese looks fantastic, and it's a brillant stroke to add this combination to pasta. I have to start a new bookmark list...mine is getting out of control!

    ReplyDelete