Friday, February 26, 2010

Mashed Potatoes & Gravy...

The other day, I had a post about one of my favorite entrées when I am entertaining; which I call Celebration Pork. I usually like to have at least one side that I know all my guest will find comfort in ~ something that they are familiar with. That way, they feel at home.

For this particular dinner, I served as my comfort side, garlic mashed potatoes with a unique cider gravy. Here are the recipes I used.




Garlic Mashed Potatoes with Thyme

Ingredients:
8 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and halved
Kosher salt and black pepper
1 cup whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
4 tablespoons butter
1 head garlic, halved horizontally
12 sprigs fresh thyme
⅛ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

Place the potatoes in a large pot and add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil and add 2 teaspoons salt. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 16 to 18 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.

Meanwhile, place the milk, cream, butter, garlic, and thyme in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Set aside until the potatoes are cooked.

Strain the milk mixture into the pot with the potatoes. Add ¾ teaspoon salt and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper and mash. Sprinkle with the nutmeg before serving.

Serves 8


Hard Cider Gravy

Ingredients:
Drippings from a pork roast
1 cup hard cider or dry white wine
2 to 3 cups chicken broth
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste

Strain the drippings into a large measuring cup or bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes, then skim off and discard the fat. The drippings are coming from your pork roast or tenderloins.

Place the empty pan over 2 burners on medium-high heat. Add the cider and cook for 1 minute, scraping up the bits stuck to the pan. Pour into the skimmed drippings and add enough broth to make a total of 4 cups.

Make a roux by melting the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the flour, whisking, until golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Whisk in the broth mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve in a gravy boat.

Serves 8

__________

George’s notes:
  • Being from James Brown’s hometown, I remember he had a “mash potato” related hit song call Do the Mash Potato. It is said that James featured the dance prominently in his live performances during the 1950s and '60s.
  • Gravy is thought to have originated in Egypt around 3000 B.C. Hieroglyphs in the tomb of Djer, an early first dynasty pharoah, at Umm el-Qa'ab are said to resemble Classical Greek clay vessels, from which the modern French gravy boat was ultimately developed. Paintings on the walls of the tomb depicting feasting show the diners (presumably members of the royal court) drinking a liquid, however the context does not lend itself to wine, beer or blood.



Print

32 comments:

  1. My mashed potatoes sound so plain compared to these. Yours sound very, very flavorful and I will keep this recipe and give it a try. We all loved mashed potaotes....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like the idea of garlic and thyme in your mashed potatoes, George. AND the hard cider in your pork gravy. Super idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read about cider gravy's before, and have always been curious. Now, I am definitely going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are there any two food that are better matched than mashed potatoes and gravy? This is comfort food at its finest. You've added so much flavor to both the potatoes and gravy, George. Love your use of hard cider. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. George, this looks FANTASTIC. I love the rich and creamy potatoes and the gravy sounds spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, mashed potatoes almost never escape being seasoned with a bit of garlic at our house, so these would definitely make me feel right at home.

    I've used apple cider in gravy before, but never hard cider -- great idea, especially with a side of pork. Lovely, George.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bliss…that's how I'm feeling after saving this recipe, along with the Celebration Pork. This will be a great meal to serve to my kin the first time they come for dinner. There are so many I've never met and more I barely know. They'll love me for sure after this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my....makes me so hungry to serve up a good roast and mashed potatoes. Will have to find some guests to come on over for this 'celebration'. Never used cider in gravy before but I am totally imagining how great it would be. Thanks for yet another super recipe! How do you do it...making the most simple food become banquet fare. Good on you George!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who doesn't love mashed potatoes? And I love the idea of sprinkling nutmeg on top--I'm stealing that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had mashed potatoes for the first time, only after coming to US ,3 years before :-) Should try your recipe now, since we love it .Thanks George and have a great week end !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my... the cider gravy is amazing... and those mashed of yours elevate the humble potato to Mt. Olympus...brilliant spicing and herbing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love mashed potatoes, so much that I feel like they should be a main course not a side. And yours look superior to mine...I always use garlic but I am def going to try your recipe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Be still my heart :-). You had me with the heavy cream. The potatoes sound wonderful and I can't wait to try the hard cider gravy. It sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Interesting that you added nutmeg to your mashed potatoes. The hard cider gravy looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the gravy lore. These potatoes and gravy are a thing of beauty! They look perfectly traditional but I love that you have taken them up a notch, especially with the Thyme! What a rich and wonderful take on an old favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those mashed potatoes look so creamy! My kids are peeking in on the screen and are begging for mashed potatoes now:D They look irresistible.

    I've been wanting to buy some hard cider for a very long time. Living in a dry county doesn't help that endeavor. I'm still going to keep my eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Garlic mashed with thyme and hard cider gravy with pork roast. I would travel miles for this meal....when does your restaurant open?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those potatoes have to be divine with the cream and flavorings you used. And with the cider gravy, wow! You've made me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both sound super and I like the way you got the garlic into the potatoes - very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't think that there is a more perfect comfort food than mashed potatoes and gravy. Forget as a side, I could eat it as a main dish!

    Excellent job and interesting tidbit about the origin of history. I bet by 2999 BC someone had already messed up and made a clumpy gravy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. hard to go wrong with mashed potatoes and your gravy looks so silky rich and luscious

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmmmm! Cider gravy, I bet that was yumptious with the pork. But the humble spud is one of my favorite foods, and that mash sounds to die for.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my, that is the sexiest mashies and gravy I have ever seen! Love the dripping volcano of goodness. And the hard cider - genius!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Well, this looks beautiful and delicious. What a great photo. Mashed potatoes and gravy are about my most favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this. During my stay in UK, I used to enjoy yorkshire pudding and gravy. When I saw your post,I am reminded of it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow my fav...Looks perfect and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mmm...mashed potatoes and gravy are such great comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  28. mashed potatoes are my favorite side dish, hands down. i don't often eat them with gravy, but your unique twist on the saucy stuff sounds really tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I keep staring at the cider gravy...that looks so inviting. The mashed potatoes look perfect. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  30. perfect comfort food and wow what a gravy

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am having a hard time imagining wine in mashed potatoes but if you say it works, I will have to try it and find out its virtues.

    ReplyDelete
  32. A perfect side dish! But just as good in a bowl with a spoon for some comfort eating.

    ReplyDelete