
Tuna Cakes
Ingredients:
1 pound new potatoes, skin on
1 can (6.5 oz) Albacore Tuna
~ packed in water, drained
½ cup carrot, grated
¾ cup zucchini, grated
½ cup asiago cheese, grated
½ cup cornmeal flour
3 tablespoon canola oil
Cut potatoes into quarters, put in a saucepan with cold salted water and bring to the boil. Once soft, drain water and mash potatoes with the skin on.
In a large mixing bowl add remaining ingredients except the oil. Then add potato mash to tuna mixture, season with salt and pepper then fold ingredients together until well combined.
Shape patties using your hands - I use a ¼ cup measurement for each patty.
Heat a large frying pan; add oil and once heated, place the patties in the oil and fry until golden brown. Cook the patties in several batches for best results.
Makes about 10 patties
_____
Citrus Mayonnaise
Ingredients:
8 tablespoons mayonnaise
3 tablespoon milk
1½ teaspoon lime zest
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
⅛ teaspoon ground cumin
Combine ingredients and chill.
Makes about ½ cup
__________
George’s notes:
- I like to leave the skin on new potatoes because it is so thin and holds all the nutrients- and my kids never notice.
- For variety, mix up your veggies ~ I have used a ¾ cup of kernel corn, instead of the zucchini. If you like sweet potato, make a sweet potato mash for something different.
I'v made salmon and crab cakes but never tuna and tuna is one of my favorites. These cakes sound delicious and I will have to give them a try. I love the idea of using the new potatoes!
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting idea. Yet another recipe bookmarked! Thanks George
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm going to bookmark these, a great idea in our quest to eat more fish
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOops...didn't mean to do that delete.... Recipe sounds great....love the sounds of that Citrus Mayo!
ReplyDeleteI love this idea! I'm going to make this one day soon. Thank you for posting!
ReplyDeleteanything with tuna tastes so good, add a little masala powder next time he he
ReplyDeleteyum! When I first saw the title, I remembered my grandmother's tuna cakes that we used to have every Friday. Then I saw the recipe! These are not my grandmother's tuna cakes!!
ReplyDeleteThis is a great recipe to have on hand for busy day dinners. I really like the way these cakes sound. The mayonnaise must be wonderful.
ReplyDeleteThe citrus mayo really caught my eye, George. I made crab cakes this morning and will try this delicious sounding condiment instead of my usual tartar sauce.
ReplyDeleteUsing tuna is a wonderful idea. I've always used crab or salmon. What fun to try something new.
Interesting! Do you ever make your own mayo? My kids laugh at me for doing so.
ReplyDeleteMarjie, I have made homemade mayo, but not recently. This Citrus Mayo would be even better that way. Thanks for reminding me ~ I'll have to do that soon.
ReplyDeletegreat idea George - I make canned salmon, fresh salmon, crab and shrimp cakes fairly often but I have never thought to use tuna - time to give it a whirl...
ReplyDeleteLove Tuna dishes and this sure sounds great. Thanks George !
ReplyDeleteSalmon and crab cakes, yes. Tuna cakes? I don't know- maybe. Tuna is not my favorite. I can bear it in the old tuna noodle casserole- barely.
ReplyDeleteMaybe I won't taste the tuna with all those neat ingredients? And dipped heavily in your citrus mayo?
Love crab cakes, salmon patties but have never made tuna cakes. Will make these next week; i know my husband will loves this; thank you.
ReplyDeleteRita
I bet these tuna cakes are fantastic with the citrus mayonnaise.
ReplyDeleteGreat idea...tuna cakes...sound and look yummie, have to give a try soon :-)
ReplyDeleteTuna is one of the few fishies that I can eat due to allergies so I love finding new recipes for it. Love the addition of the veggies, especially the potatoes. I'm definitely bookmarking this one.
ReplyDeleteKitten Kaboodle
I've never had tuna cakes, but they look wonderful...the citrus mayo sounds like a very tasty touch, George! I'm intriged by the addition of potatoes, so I'm bookmarking this to try soon. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteGood canned tuna in the pantry is such a great ingredient. I love tuna and salmon cakes--so easy and good and I love all the veggies you have in there.
ReplyDeletei won't lie--the smell of canned tuna turns my stomach. on the other hand, the smell of anything frying makes my belly do a happy dance, so i'm torn! i like this recipe, george--it's certainly worth a try!
ReplyDeleteGreat idea George. I like the idea of the sweet potatoes in this. I have a recipe from Lee Baily for sweet potato pancakes that I love. I love that you have incorporated so many vegies.
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting makeover for the classic crab cake, George. Good job.
ReplyDelete