Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Yippee, it’s pancake day...

I recently posted how in France, crêpes are traditionally served on February 2, known as Candlemas ~ La Chandeleur. Well today is the day before the beginning of Lent and known as Shrove Tuesday. To shrive someone, in old-fashioned English ~ he shrives, he shrove, he has shriven or he shrives, he shrived, he has shrived ~ is to hear his acknowledgement of his sins, to assure him of God's forgiveness, and to give him appropriate spiritual advice. The term survives today in ordinary usage in the expression "short shrift". To give someone short shrift is to pay very little attention to his excuses or problems. The longer expression is, "to give him short shrift and a long rope," which formerly meant to hang a criminal with a minimum of delay.

Shrove Tuesday is also called Fat Tuesday ~ in French, Mardi =Tuesday; gras = fat, as in "pate de foie gras", which is liver paste and very fatty ~ because on that day a thrifty housewife uses up the fats that she has kept around for cooking, but that she will not be using during Lent. Since pancakes are a standard way of using up fat, the day is also called Pancake Tuesday. In England, and perhaps elsewhere, the day is celebrated with pancake races. Where the contestants run a course while holding a griddle and flipping a pancake. Points are awarded for time, for number and height of flips, and number of times the pancake turns over. There are of course penalties for dropping the pancake.

The day or sometimes a longer period immediately preceding Lent, is also called Carnival, which means "farewell to meat." The first part of the word "carni" as in carnivorous, and "vale" as in valediction. I have always said, one last hamburger before the Lenten fast begins.

Now back to those pancakes… it is hard to believe how many different variations of pancakes there really is. It seems most cultures have their own form of pancakes. Most are like a crêpe or very thin pancake; like the Chinese ones used for moo shu dishes. In Australia and New Zealand, small pancakes known as pikelets are traditionally served with jam and/or whipped cream, or solely with butter, at afternoon tea. In India, the Pooda or Cheela is a pancake, that can be made either sweet or salty and are of different thicknesses in different places of India. In the Netherlands, pancakes are called pannenkoeken and eaten at dinnertime. Pannekoeken are slightly thicker than crêpes and usually quite large (12" or more) in diameter. The batter is egg-based and the fillings can include sliced apples, cheese, ham, bacon, candied ginger and many other ingredients.

Well you get the idea ~ I submit to you here, two of my favorite ways to serve & eat pancakes. The first is just your basic pancake batter, which I like to stack about three high and top with lots of butter and warm maple syrup. And the second, which I made this morning, is like the Dutch pannenkoeken, made with apples and puffs up like a soufflé then topped with melted butter.


Basic Pancakes

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, milk, and oil.

Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring until just moist. Let mixture rest about 2 minutes. Spoon or pour batter onto greased, hot griddle or nonstick skillet.

Cook pancakes on the first side until bubbles appear on the upper surface. Turn over and cook until the bottom is golden. Slide onto an oven proof platter; and keep warm in a 300 degree oven until ready to serve.

Serves 2




Spiced Apple Pancake
For the puffiest pancake, use a cast-iron skillet. If you don’t have one, choose a heavy 12-inch skillet with a bottom that is at least 10 inches in diameter and has an oven-safe handle.

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons water
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons sugar
3 to 4 medium Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored
~ and cut into 8 wedges
3 large eggs
¾ cup milk
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice*
¼ teaspoon salt

* can substitute ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat butter, water, and ½ cup sugar over medium-high heat to boiling. Add apple wedges; cook 12 to 15 minutes or until apples are golden and sugar mixture begins to caramelize, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, in blender or food processor with knife blade attached, place eggs, milk, flour, pumpkin pie spice, salt, and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, adding liquid ingredients to blender first. Blend until batter is smooth.

When apple mixture in skillet is deep golden, pour batter over apples. Place skillet in oven; bake 15 to 17 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned. Serve immediately.

Serves 4



__________

George’s notes:
  • Today is traditionally the day when you feast, in preparation for what you’re about to give up for Lent. It’s also a day when it’s traditional to cleanse your soul - to confess and be absolved. There are records of this over a thousand years old, written by an Anglo-Saxon monks.
  • Nowadays it’s pretty much just Pancake Day. Not that this is a bad thing. Pancakes have been part of Shrove Tuesday in England for centuries. Pancake racing still takes place and is thought to have started in 1445, when a woman cooking her pancakes heard the church bells ring, calling to confession. She ran to church wearing her apron and carrying her pancake still in its pan!
  • Lent is not something I think too much about in my faith, but I like the idea of cleansing the soul, then cleansing our bodies in preparation for Easter. It is also good for ones health & diet to fast.



Print

24 comments:

  1. Very interesting post George. Since we don't observe these customs in our faith, I did wonder about the origins. You explained it all very well-thanks.
    I love pancakes smothered in maple syrup, and the apple pancake looks additive...I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YIPEE!!!! We were going to watch the pancake races this morning but it is raining cats and dogs so we will have pancakes for lunch and for dessert at dinner we will have pancake spaghetti with ice cream (yummy). just make very thin pancakes, roll them up and slice them into spaghetti like strands and place them on some ice cream then top with maple syrup or strawberry/chocolate sauce. simple and yumalicious.
    Your Apple Pancakes look so good.

    Your posts are always filled to the brim with deliciousness and the best history and information. Happy Pancake day to you. Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both look great and I'll have to try the apple one. For the regular cakes, after syruping, I like to add a nice sunny side up egg and bust the yellow to smear all over the stack top - like I do with lots of other things. Give it a try sometime, you may be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We celebrate Shrove Tuesday on the prairie with a pancake supper as a church fundraiser -- pancakes and sausage before the fasting begins. A different contingent here celebrates Fat Tuesday with beads and revelry!

    And the pancake races -- the most famous in the world -- between Olney, England and Liberal, Kansas (that's prairie country) -- and it's been going on for 60 years (since 1950) -- I'm not sure who leads whom in wins but I'd like to think that Kansas does!

    We had pancakes for breakfast . . . and we'll have pancakes at church for supper!

    As you stated, it is, after all pancake day!

    Happy Shrove Tuesday to you --

    it's a great post and I love both of your pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The apple spice pancake souds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a great time last year during Fat Tuesday. Got baking a lot of bread which I had never done before with a friend and we dropped some for our friends. This year is snowing and will be home but its great to remember this day reading your post...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son and I love pancakes and I've always wanted to try an apple pancake. I will have to give this a try! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow.. good information. I should have stopped here before I wrote my article. :) :) Last year IHOP had free pancakes on Shrove Tuesday, for some reason they are celebrating National Pancake Day on the Feb. 23d.. so sad! I didn't make pancakes today, but we will definitely be gluttonous before our fasting begins! And I love puffed pancakes.. we make them all the time. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the apples and spices in the pancake. Very sophisticated. I make something similar called a Bismark from The Silver Palate. It's one of our favorites. I'll have to give yours a try for something different.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never heard it called Pancake Day! A couple of years back, I found a recipe for a King Cake, and made one. It was so good I made another and shipped to my son in college for his birthday. Needless to say, he demands one every year now. Mine will be coming out again today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. a day dedicated to pancakes will never be viewed as bad in my book. no, it is a day to stuff my belly to bursting with fluffy, syrupy goodness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been meaning to try one of those Dutch baked pancakes. They look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummie, want to try the apple and pumpkin spice pancakes...maybe for this coming weekend :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum, perfect looking pancakes. I haven't have a German apple pancake in quite a while - it is time to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A nice stack of cakes with a splash of maple syrup is irresistible and a treat before the beginning of Lent.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I learned a few things today. As always, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bring on the Dutch Baby please!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post, George. And that apple Dutch Baby is totally calling my name.

    I wonder if it really counts as "fasting" when food tastes that good?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your stories.... if that apple pancake is as good as they are... I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi George. I just stumbled onto your blog from Bumblevee and have been scrolling down through your many recipes. I have bookmarked you and when I have more time, I will surely start copying and trying some of your recipes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dutch baby, here I come! I have to see if I can reduce the proportions to fit a #5 skillet... Great post! As always, there is a lot to consider in the intermixing realms of faith and food...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very informative post. I knew about Fat Tuesday forever but never really learned about "shrove tuesday" or the pancake link until the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been trying to convince Paul that we should have pancakes all week. Not for reasons of faith, just because I like them! With lemon and sugar, yum!

    I never knew that was why Carnival was called Carnival! How interesting.

    ReplyDelete