Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Bacon, Tomato & Spinach Spaghetti...

There is something about bacon, tomato and spinach that makes me think of a quick and easy meal. Add a little pasta to that and you have a delicious dinner. We all are looking for that quick comfort meal, especially at this time of year. After making sure the turkey is thawed, the coconut cake is curing in the fridge and the final trip to the grocery store is packed into our pantry… we need to sit down and enjoy a nice easy dinner with a glass of wine before we get back into the kitchen to fix the 'dinner of all dinners' ~ the traditional Thanksgiving Day dinner!

For those of you who are not aware of the on-going weekly series Presto Pasta Night, which was started by Ruth at Once Upon a Feast - Every Kitchen Tells It's Stories some 141 weeks ago; I have also submitted this recipe, there. Ruth has been a tireless champion compiling good, creative and convenient pasta recipes week after week to help others in their dinner decisions. Once or twice a month, she is helped by guest host… This week's guest host is Deb at Kahakai Kitchen, so give her site a look. Deb always has some creative treat from her Hawaiian paradise kitchen, she calls home.

Aloha to Deb and Grazie & Buon Appetito to Ruth!

__________

Bacon, Tomato & Spinach Spaghetti

Ingredients
1 pound bacon
1 pound thin spaghetti
1 sweet onion sliced thin
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 cup fresh spinach leaves


Directions:
Prepare spaghetti according to package directions.
Dice bacon and fry until it's done, making sure that it's a little crispy, then add onion. When everything is soft, add stewed tomatoes and spinach; allow all to heat and spinach to wilt. Then pour over cooked pasta, mix and serve.

Serves: 4
__________

George’s notes:
  • Did you know that there are approximately 600 different shapes of pasta. Examples include spaghetti (thin rods), maccheroni (tubes or cylinders),fusilli (swirls), and lasagne (sheets). Two other noodles, gnocchi and spätzle, are sometimes considered pasta. They are both traditional in parts of Italy.
  • Kahakai means near the ocean in Hawaiian.


Print

17 comments:

  1. This looks inviting. I keep getting deeper and deeper into this blogging. I find a blog I like and then see another that is liked on that blog...you get the picture. Thank goodness I don't have to go to work besides all of this computer work!!! Prosit, George!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. This is one beautiful pasta dish. But then again, add a pound of bacon to anything and I'll eat it : )

    I think I'd add a scrambled egg to saute mixture...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The combination of spinach and bacon with stewed tomatoes sounds terrific. I'd love to try this. Great recipe...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple and delicious. Great flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a nice variation of a meat sauce and surely very tasty with the smoked finish of the bacon. Nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great presentation and I quite liked your photo today.. Thanks for sharing a flavorful pasta dinner...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pasta with crispy bacon--there is nothing better! A gorgeous dish that I will be making soon. Thanks so much for the lovely shout out and for joining in Presto Pasta Nights George.

    Aloha & Mahalo,

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bookmarked! I can't wait to try this, George...it sounds so easy, but also very tasty. But of course it should with all that bacon! Thanks
    Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bookmarked too... I made a pasta, looking somehwhat similar ( I named it sphagemein) ..although this has so many layers of savoriness to it...
    Have a great thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this dish - simple ingredients make the best recipes.

    I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving George - see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. iiiiiit's bacon! awesome pasta dish, george--it's something i can definitely do! meanwhile, 600 types of pasta? gadzooks!
    happy thanksgiving to you and yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. George, thank you for your sweet comments!

    Have a happy and delicious Thanksgiving : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. This has gone onto my "hit list", George. Pasta and bacon is a lure that I can't ignore or refuse. It sounds as though you are all set for turkey day. I hope you have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fantastic dish to share with Presto Pasta Nights! I do hope it's the first of many.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a combination that is born to go together

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that this is like a BLT but over pasta! The perfect prelude to Thanksgiving - simple and delicious. You've got a great blog here, I can't wait to check out some of your other recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hop over from Deb's PPN round up. This is a nice dish.

    ReplyDelete