Over the years, as I've experimented with any number of world cuisines and seasonings, the beef tenderloin has proven infinitely versatile. Another crowd-pleasing favorite is my pork roast stuff with apples & apricots and basted in a apple cider.
No matter whether I've given the roast a Hawaiian or a traditional Southwest makeover, it never fails to cast an aroma-therapeutic spell over the guests. The savory smells that waft into the living room over cocktail hour have the bewitching effect of advance-hyping the meal and inspiring chef-assisting offers that can carry over the whole night from plate running to bussing and dishwashing.
For a final and virtuously thrifty hurrah, there is no more appropriate way to honor the previous night's leftovers than to give it a second life as a homemade barbeque pork sandwiches; the added sweetness of the fruit really gives the barbeque sauce a tweak.
So, breakout the fine china & stemware give the house a quick clean and invite your dearest and nearest over for an evening of relaxed fine dinning and let the fun begin.

Apple-Apricot Stuffed Pork Tenderloin
Ingredients
2 medium apple, chopped
2 cup, dried apricots, chopped
¾ cup bread crumbs
½ cup celery, finely chopped
4 tablespoons golden raisins
4 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
4 tablespoons scallions, chopped including greens
¼ teaspoon Cardamom
¼ cup apple cider
2 pork tenderloin about 12 ounce each, trimmed
6 stripes of applewood cured bacon
Sauce:
1 cup apple cider
1 tablespoon cornstarch
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ cup dried apricots, finely chopped
Stuffing: Combine the apples, apricots, bread crumbs, celery, raisins, walnuts, scallions and Cardamom together. Stir in the apple cider. Set aside.


Butterfly the pork tenderloin - make a single lengthwise cut down the center of the narrow edge, cutting to within ½ inch of the other side. Spread the meat open. At the center of the tenderloin, make one perpendicular slit to the right of the V and one to the left. Cover the meat with plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet to ½ inch thickness.
Spread the stuffing over the meat. Roll up and wrap wit bacon stripe; then tie with string to secure. Brush the meat with apple cider.
In a 350 degree oven, place the meat in a roasting pan, uncovered, and roast for 1 hour or until meat is no longer pink. Baste the meat once after 30 minutes of cooking.
Sauce: In a small saucepan, combine the apple cider, cornstarch, cinnamon and apricots. Over medium-high heat cook; stirring until thickened and bubbling.
Serve 3 one-inch slices with the sauce over top.
Serves 6
__________
George’s notes:
- As with all animals that walk on four legs, the tenderloin refers to the muscle along the central spine portion, which more or less hangs between the shoulder blade and hip socket. This is the most tender part of the animal, because the muscles that support the inner organs are not used for locomotion.
- Although often thought of as a "subtropical" fruit, this is actually false – the apricot is native to a continental climate region with cold winters, although it can grow in Mediterranean climates very well. The tree is slightly more cold-hardy than the peach, tolerating winter temperatures as cold as −30 °C or lower if healthy.
- Dreaming of apricots, in English folklore, is said to be good luck. But for American tank-driving soldiers, apricots are taboo, by superstition. Tankers will not eat apricots, allow apricots onto their vehicles, and often will not even say the word "apricot". This superstition stems from Sherman tank breakdowns purportedly happening in the presence of cans of apricots.
Love the sweet fruit stuffing for the pork, George. And I remember reading someplace that bacon wrapped around the pork will keep it moist and tender. A great recipe.
ReplyDeleteAlso, reading your last post...I don't think you have ever mentioned once being a chef, although I may have missed it. Muffins are super to have in the freezer; you can pop them in the microwave when you are in a hurry or have last minute house guests. I try to have some in the freezer all the time. Love this recipe!
Great demonstration on how to butterfly a tenderloin and I thoroughly enjoyed the trivia about tank based soldiers, I had no idea about that. Does that tradition carry through today or was it just a WWII thing?
ReplyDeleteYou are so right-- pork tenderloin is my "go to" for fool-proof dinners. It's truly become my "chicken". LOVE the fruit stuffing of this version. Pork and fruit...yeah, they go together well. It's funny, but when I read your first line, I thought you meant you were an "entertainer" as in theater. I should entertain company more, since I love cooking so much.
ReplyDeletePS: Thank you for your very kind comment on my blog.
I love your stories George, I can imagine you as a little nipper with those trays... charming the grown-ups (and I'd love to see one of your parties... they must be fun). Cool stuff about apricots, who knew!!!
ReplyDeleteStuffed pork loin and tenderloin are favorites around here - yours looking good.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! And such perfect butchering, mine would look like it lost a fight if I tried to slice it open like that.
ReplyDeleteThis looks gorgeous and delicious. Pork tenderloin is so versitile and so many flavor combos available. I am most certainly bookmarking this one. I've never butterflied a PT, guess I better learn.
ReplyDeleteHi George, this look absolutely yummy and tasty, love it! gloria
ReplyDeleteI love your stuffing! I have a peach tree or 2, or at least I once did, but I think time and deer did them in. So maybe I ought to hunt up an apricot tree, and try to figure out how to protect it from those cursed white tailed predators! After all, I don't drive a tank!
ReplyDeleteI do cook a lot with pork tenderloin; that fruit filling is just perfect to accompany the light tasty pork. Great picture!
ReplyDeleteRita
It must have been so much fun to grow up in your household! This pork tenderloin looks very impressive. The flavors must be spectacular!
ReplyDeleteGeorge this sounds so elegant, I can definitely imagine this sliced and carefully placed on fine china. The first time I saw fruit wrapped inside a pork loin was this wonderful recipe for pork loin stuffed with figs and walnuts.. from another one of my favorite cookbooks authors Geraldine Holt. I'm enjoying your version. The apple cider sounds delicious, although I can also imagine some brandy in there too. :) I think I always have to have some kind of wine in my cooking. :)
ReplyDeleteMy mom and sisters are the accomplished entertainers among my family, as much as I enjoy an elegant evening with friends, I get too distracted in the kitchen to be social if it's at my house. Ciao..
Look delicious and that apple-apricot stuffing looks amazing!
ReplyDeletePork tenderloin is my favorite company dish also, but your version is over the top good looking. I will definitely try this the next time we have company.
ReplyDeleteHow I wish I could command a knife as you do, George. I'd love to try to butterfly a tenderloin. That stuffing looks wonderful. As for your story about the superstitions regarding the apricot, that is something that will stick with me. Love your posts!
ReplyDeletedelightful, george! i love pork tenderloin--it lends itself to so many preparations. stuffing the thing is a personal favorite, and your filling sounds so sweet and complimentary to the pig. this one's a keeper--bravo!
ReplyDeleteInvite us to your next party because we love a good stuffed pork!
ReplyDeleteI refuse to go out sightseeing anymore, as I miss so much right here in blog-land lol. It is our turn to host a dinner when we return to the USA and I think I have just found my menu as this sounds so perfect and I konw our friends will love it.
ReplyDeleteThat stuffed pork looks really tasty!
ReplyDelete