Thursday, February 11, 2010

Lemon-Marinated Brussels Sprouts...

Over the years, going back to a small boy, I have loved Brussels sprouts for several reasons. First of all, my maternal grandfather use to call them “educated cabbage” ~ so I thought all I had to do was eat them and I would be smart. It was not quite that easy I later learned. Secondly they bring great color to the winter table. Brussels sprouts stay delicious and fresh throughout the winter, and their vibrant color is welcomed during the cold months when it seems that there are no green vegetables left.

Here is my favorite make-ahead recipe, which gets better and better as it sits in the refrigerator. But please don’t let them come to room temperature before serving, as this is a cold salad side dish.




Lemon-Marinated Brussels Sprouts

Ingredients:
2 pounds Brussels sprouts
¾ cup olive oil
2 lemons, juiced and zested
2 large shallots, peeled and sliced
½ cup parsley, chopped fine
4 large cloves garlic, minced
Kosher salt
Fresh-ground black pepper

Clean the Brussels sprouts and trim off the bottom ¼ inch of their core, removing any loose leaves as you do so. Pierce their cores with a small paring knife or a vegetable peeler.

Fill a large bowl with ice water and set it aside or in the sink. Bring an inch of salted water to boil in a large pot. Add the sprouts and cover. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the sprouts are just barely tender. Cut one in half to check. Drain the sprouts and plunge immediately into the bowl of cold water. Leave them there for a few moments then drain again.

Cut the sprouts in half and put in a large bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper, then toss with the lemon zest, shallots, parsley, and minced garlic.

Make the dressing: Whisk the olive oil and lemon juice together vigorously until thick and pale yellow.

Pour the dressing over and toss. Refrigerate for at least an hour -- but be aware that these are really better a day after cooking.

Serves 6

__________

George’s notes:
  • Brussels sprouts are related to other better-known vegetables in the Brassica genus like broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower. They are part of the cruciferae or mustard family, so known because of a four-part flower in the shape of a cross.
  • Brussels sprouts are a very good source of many essential vitamins, fiber, and foliate. They are especially high in Vitamin C.
  • Sprouts were believed to have been cultivated in Italy in Roman times, and possibly as early as the 1200s in Belgium. The modern Brussels sprout that we are familiar with was first cultivated in large quantities in Belgium ~ hence the name "Brussels" sprouts ~ as early as 1587, with their introduction into the U.S. in the early 1800s.


Print

28 comments:

  1. "Educated Cabbage" - that is great! I love things that get better as they sit, too. Adding sprouts to my shopping list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. I love how GREEN they are. I've not had a Brussels sprout salad so I'm excite to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love brussels sprout too but have never had them served cold like this, sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love brussels sprouts and this salad sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. George, I'm so glad you shared this with us. Brussels Sprouts are Bob's favorite vegetable and I'm always looking for new ways to prepare them. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hated BSs as a kid (a bit later than 1587) and refused to eat them but my sister loved them. I wouldnt say she was smarter than me though lol, these sound and look yummy, anything dressed in lemon, oil and or balsamic is good in my book. :-) Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like a real winner. We like brussel sprouts and like new ways to eat them and this is similar to how we eat them hot - cook til just tender then sautee with lemon juice, butter and garlic. So I can see these having a similar taste and look forward to trying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never cooked brussel sprouts but you do make them very tempting!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really need to give brussel sprouts a try again...my mother used to boil them until they were a soggy mess when I was a kid. I couldn't stand them. This recipe makes me want to try them again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh.... from Belgium.....somehow that makes them seem pretty special... kind of like.. chocolate.....

    But, seriously...I love sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow--this is so interesting! I've never served Brussels sprouts cold, but why not? These sound fabulous. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like 'em too, George, but it amazes me how many people don't. This is an excellent recipe- never would have thought to serve them cold.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a perfect recipe for the brussel sprouts fans at home..Thanks George and have a great week end !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. these are certainly a beautiful color and the vibrancy lent by the lemon dressing must just light up the palate. really great recipe, george!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I always called them "baby cabbage". Maybe I can get some of my fussbudgets to try them this way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your grandfather's comment on "educated cabbage." If only I could get my husband to like them. Perhaps your recipe with the lemon will change his mind, although I would have to sneak them in the house.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brussels sprouts as a salad - a new twist. I am always looking for new salads. This certainly, will fill the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is fantastic George.Must try this one. I usually cook my Brussel Sprouts in tomato paste and garlic but have never thought to have them as a "salad"

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love these! I do a lemony/garlicky sprout cooked - and my daughter and I always end up picking the leftovers cold out of the fridge and popping them into our mouths.
    This looks like the perfect dish for us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't know about this one George. I've only recently learned to like Brussels sprouts and that was because they were roasted in the oven. But if you say this one's a winner, I trust you. However, if I don't like them, I'm going to have to hunt you down like a dog...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. CONGRATS, GEORGE! You just won at Once Upon A Plate.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey,
    Congrats on winning the ICBINB giveaway @ once upon a plate.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good one.. I can do that! I know I will love it. Educated brussels.. how I wish you were right and I could just eat them and be brainy :) How we kid ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Stopping by to see you won the big prize!!! Congrats George!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love that these are a cold dish and of course the lemon is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is definitely one to win over the nay-sayers! I have learned to love brussels sprouts, and these flavours sound perfect! Thanks George!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love brussel sprouts and don't understand why more people don't love them too! I've never had a cold salad of brussels and this sounds delicious. Such a pretty side dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love Brussels Sprouts, but many people overcook them. These look and sound perfect.

    ReplyDelete